Monday, June 10, 2013

LED lighting

I met some great people at the Dallas Mid-Century Modern Expo last month. The exhibit of the iLumni LED light bulb really stood out for me. Not because I was drawn visually to their booth (they could have used an artist to help them design their exhibit to hit a real home run) but as an artist I am always concerned about light and on the lookout for the best LED bulb. Well I found it in the iLumni bulb, an app-programable light bulb. "iLumi Solutions is a passionate team of designers, engineers, and entrepreneurs based out of the Gravity Center in Dallas, Texas and India." Just the idea of the Gravity Center is so cool as well as the site for fundraising for startups, indegogo.com where anyone can "Fund what matters to you," the iLumni people have a page for donations.


One possible display for an exhibit booth is to reproduce their ads in a larger banner and build a display with the actual light bulbs like one of iLumni's photo ads. Possibly a second display to show Bluetooth control and app, which brings me to imagining small diorama's of rooms or doll house to demonstrate how the bulb can be synchronized to music or mimic the sun rising in the mornings.


 I think the most desirable draw iLumni has is that "this is fun" and "I want to play too." The most dramatic would be a display of a mid-century modern home. 


I have always hated fluorescent lighting and the mercury was always a concern for me so I looked up the contents of a compact fluorescent bulb. The "EPA estimates the U.S. is responsible for the release of 103 metric tons1 of mercury emissions each year. More than half of these emissions come from coal-fired electrical power. Mercury released into the air is the main way that mercury gets into water and bio-accumulates in fish." But most of all I hate fluorescent lighting because I am a migraine sufferer and the flicker is impossible to ignore. I have Irlen lenses to help me cope with too much light. This explanation will have to wait for another blog.

Inhabitat has a competition called "Lighten Up! An LED lighting design competition."


One more thing I have to mention, a "Star Trek" -like bulb that uses algae. Gyula Bodonyi's Algae Powered LED really is green. Who hasn't been intrigued by Phosphorescence.


Now painting with light is even more desirable with so much technology.


No comments:

Post a Comment